According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, ketamine use is an ever growing problem with teenagers and college students. Although there are many reasons why people choose to use ketamine, lack of constructive things to do is in the top five. This means that boredom is one most common reasons people use ketamine. It offers a new experience and something novel. Unfortunately, ketamine is an addictive veterinary anesthetic that causes a myriad of health and social problems.
Yes, Boredom Endangers Addiction Recovery
While you are in recovery for ketamine addiction one of the most serious triggers is boredom. After stopping ketamine use, you often find that you have free time on your hands. The time you spent using and acquiring ketamine now needs to be filled with other activities to keep you from returning to the drug. Fortunately, there are things that you can do to stave off boredom. Knowing what you can do to stop boredom from causing a relapse is invaluable to your recovery.
What You can do to Stop Boredom from Endangering your Recovery
There are many activities that can help alleviate the boredom. Most of these activities are low cost or free depending on how you plan them. Some of these activities are:
- Find a hobby – hobbies are an excellent way to stave off boredom. There are thousands of activities that can serve as hobbies. The only rule when it comes to hobbies is that it is an activity that is fun for you to do. Some hobbies are complex while others are as simple as reading a book.
- Start a journal – journaling is an excellent way to pass the time. Not only does it keep your mind and hands busy, you can use your journal to track cravings and identify your triggers.
- Find a second job – some people pick up a second part time job to pass the time. Not only do you make money, you are active and away from your home. There are second jobs where you set your own hours such as blogging or writing articles online.
- Exercise – working out is an excellent way to keep busy. Many health plans now offer serious discounts on health club memberships and other exercise services.
- Get together with friends who do not use – you can go anywhere or do anything just as long as you are out and distracted.
- Go for a walk or hike – even urban areas have hiking trails, historic paths, and other free activities. The walking is a great activity and excellent exorcise.
- Geocaching – for this activity all you need is a GPS. You use GPS coordinates to find small objects or containers that other people hide. There are geocaches all over the world.
In many of these cases, the activity that you are using to distract yourself from the boredom is low cost or free.
If you Truly Feel that you are Going to Relapse, Get Help
Although these simple cures for boredom do help, if you truly feel as if you cannot handle it on your own it is best to seek help. Call us at 800-601-3889. We can help you find a treatment center that works for you.